Thursday, March 26, 2015

Stage Five: Tears at the End

Today's itinerary advice: Don't slack off near the end just because you got ahead earlier. (Whoops…)

          Well, it's been a while, hasn't it? I suppose I'll give you a rundown of the past two weeks or so. At my friend's fundraiser, I actually spent most of the time teaching my friends how to make balloon animals. It was very amusing for me because they were all so hesitant to twist the balloons that it took quite a while to get anything done. Since their Relay for Life team name is "Relay Knights for Life", I made a sword-and-shield set. I also started brainstorming and typing up my TEDtalk that day. 

Crowned queen of balloons, I suppose?



On the last block days, I got a lot of practice responding to requests and just making balloons, as opposed to constantly learning new ones.

          Through the rest of the time, I prepared for my presentation. However, I could not figure out what exactly I wanted to talk about until exactly three days prior to the presentation itself. I have more than 1500 words of ideas that were left unused, after an exhaustive effort to find a good message. I wanted to make it meaningful, but everything I came up with just sounded fake. I was trying to put an epiphany-worthy idea where it didn't fit. As I told my friends, this project wasn't meant to be life-changing, but just a fun, cool experience. So I tried to reflect upon what I took away from this whole process… it was more of a struggle than expected. 
          Usually, when my brain is stuck, I'll take a break, then try a Hemingway-mode style of writing to spark any possible ideas. When that proved to be ineffective, I decided to take a different route for this presentation. Whenever I had a little bit of free time, I would just walk around in circles and simply talk. I talked about whatever came into my head about the process and the message. It still took quite a while, with a good bit of stuttering and pacing.
           Finally, though, I ended up choosing the idea of improvisation. This was, and still is, one of my biggest challenges both with balloon animals and in life. Improvisation in art has been a theme of mine for the past year or so, but I have never liked talking without being able to think and/or write out my words first. This is something I'm going to keep working on, and hopefully just comes along with more maturity, awareness, and confidence.
          Also in preparation for the final presentation, I made a practice dragon. A week or so earlier, I made a goldfish for my Chemistry teacher (an inside joke about a demonstration gone wrong).
          This part of the project brought near-tears of sadness because it's ending, relief because it's finally over, and frustration because writer's block (or presenter's block) is never fun. The final stage, to be posted very soon, is going to bring us back through all the great memories and struggles from this journey.

1 comment:

  1. Liliana, I must say I absolutely love the fact that you chose this as your topic. Although I have known what an incredible artist you are for quite a while, it is amazing to watch you translate your artistic skill into something so unique. I think the truest testimony for how successful you were is the smile on everyone's face once you handed them their very own "balloon creation." My custom pastel pink balloon sword was definitely the highlight of my day/week/month/existence. Thanks again;)

    ReplyDelete